1. Health
Elizabeth Hartney, PhD

Seattle Leads the Way With New Services for Video Game Addiction

By July 13, 2009

Photo (c) Dr Hilarie CashPhoto (c) Anna DiNoto

Seattle pioneers in video game addiction research and treatment, Dr. Hilarie Cash and Anna DiNoto of Argosy University, have developed a range of new services for people living with and affected by video game or computer addictions.

Therapy groups now exist to treat people with video game addictions in group therapy with others who have the same problem. Adults and teens aged over 16 work together to learn how to re-intergrate into reality, find a healthy balance between computer use and other areas of their lives, and learn new life skills they may be missing out on.

A similar group is offered for younger people aged 10-15, who are struggling with computer game addiction.

Parents can participate in a seperate group which will help them learn about their child’s addiction, no matter what their child’s age, and to learn how best to support them in overcoming their video game addiction.

And couples, whose marriages may be under strain as a result of compulsive video game playing, can learn how to reconnect, communicate, and rediscover intimacy in their relationship.

I applaud the Seattle team for their innovations in this much-needed area, and encourage anyone who can access these groups to make the most of this rare opportunity. I hope the success of these groups will lead to greater recognition of the problems that video game and computer addictions create for individuals and families.

For more information, contact Dr. Hilarie Cash and Anna DiNoto at Internet/Computer Addiction Services, 16307 N.E. 83rd St., Redmond, WA. 98052.

Telephone: (425) 861-5504

Email: argosystudent@gmail.com

You can also join their Facebook group.

Photos (c) Dr Hilarie Cash & Anna DiNoto

Comments
July 14, 2009 at 9:24 am
(1) Jorb Danardo says:

It seems that Dr. Cash and Ms. DiNoto are doing some very relevant, and apparently pioneering work in the field of addiction. I wish them both the best of luck, and would be very interested to find out more about their work.

Thank you for sharing this Dr. Hartney!

July 14, 2009 at 10:20 am
(2) Auntie F says:

It’s about time someone realizes this has become a problem and will try to help those in need, and I imagine there will be many in need of this type of service. Keep up the research!

July 18, 2009 at 12:15 am
(3) Billy says:

Kudos to the video game addiction research and treatment team in Seattle! Statistics show that a lot of these video game addicts are still on denial. I wish Dr. Cash and Ms. DiNoto good luck on this initiative. You may also want to check this article on how to prevent video game addiction: http://www.webarticleworld.com/kicking-the-habit/

July 18, 2009 at 12:55 pm
(4) Anna DiNoto says:

Thanks everyone for your wonderful, encouraging comments :) !

Billy, unfortunately, yes as with most all addictions, the statistics are true as denial is commonly seen. Also, thank you for that link! I have not read that one yet, and now will.

As a side note, Prochaska & DiClemente, (1983); Prochaska, DiClemente, & Norcross, (1992); Prochaska & Velicer, (1997) have all assisted in creating a Transtheoretical Model of Change. In doing so, they provide explanations of the nature and course of addictions, why they can be so hard to change (give up or minimize) and how change can occur, if proper motivation is established. It might behoove those who are interested in addictions such as Internet/Computer/Video Game addictions, to check it out:

Thank you all again, and your kind words will be passed along to Dr. Cash!

-Anna DiNoto

February 10, 2014 at 5:12 am
(5) Fara from Tajikistan says:

I am so tired of my husband addiction of online games. For 5 years he plays and cant stop. I live in Central Asia unfortunately we do not have any service to help for such an addictive people :( family suffers so much for this! I indeed want to ruin this online gaming, because it ruins many people life.

March 1, 2014 at 8:59 pm
(6) Wireless Products says:

When I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new
comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a
comment is added I get 4 emails with the exact same comment.
Is there a way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!