1. Health
Elizabeth Hartney, PhD

Last Call — Rapper Warns of Drunk Driving Consequences

By May 27, 2010

Rapper Timmy Grins Warns of the Personal Consequences of DUI

Image Jason Haw

Rapper Timmy Grins gives a very personal persepective on the consequences of drunk driving in his film, Last Call, directed by Fabio Lomelino.

Based on his own experiences of waking up in jail without even knowing how he got there, and those of a friend from his 12 step group who lived with the guilt of having hit a family of four while drunk driving, the aim of the film is to help those who are ready to be helped and to encourage those that are not ready to reconsider their options.

Timmy gets across the pain, anguish and regret felt by a drunk driver responsible for causing the death of others. But is this really going to resonate with people who regularly drink and drive? In my experience, one of the special skills of drunk drivers is denial, the ability to tell themselves that it won't happen to them.

So does this film have the desired effect? If you watched it and it made you think twice about drinking and driving, please leave a comment.

Comments
May 27, 2010 at 10:30 am
(1) BuddyT says:

This week there was a news story about a Vermont man who was denied bail while waiting trial for his 9th DUI offense. The judge denied him bond because the man had gotten out of prison less than a month ago after serving 20 years for killing someone during his last drunk driving episode.

My point is, there are some who are never going to get the message no matter what. I would imagine that the only people who will view this film are people who are victims of drunk drivers, advocates and family members who are concerned about a love one’s drinking and driving.

The drunks won’t watch it. It simply doesn’t apply to them!

BuddyT

May 27, 2010 at 10:53 am
(2) addictions says:

It’s true that some people will just carry on getting behind the wheel after drinking, and sometimes even getting caught, as in this man’s case, isn’t enough to stop them. But I do know one person who drove home from the pub several times a week for about 30 years, and finally stopped doing it when he was caught by the police, something he never thought would happen.

Whether people are prepared to learn from the mistakes of others, as portrayed in “Last Call,” is another question. I know from interviewing heavy drinkers that they tend to think that another drinker’s story simply doesn’t apply to them.

May 27, 2010 at 7:11 pm
(3) Jason K says:

TImmy Grins putting NJ on the MAP! Proud of you dude, keep doin your thing!

May 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm
(4) Capital-X says:

The film “Last Call” has made me think way more than twice. Though it may be a fact that this film may miss many of those sitting at a bar right this moment it still serves a great purpose especially for young teens. I think this is a great tool to reach students in high schools and universities. In the process of trying prevent our children from ever drinking and driving at all if one person changes their mind of getting behind the wheel of their car after drinking, then it’s worth the effort I say. Actually Timmy Grins has already reached at least one. Thank you Mr. Grins

May 27, 2010 at 7:53 pm
(5) Vikki says:

As a school counselor I work with adolescents on a daily basis. Timmy was invited to my school to premiere his video and speak to 600 students. While most adolescents believe that they are invincible, I have come to learn that if you can reach just one of them, you have succeeded. Timmy was able to reach more then just one as the kids discussed the video days and even weeks later. Thank you Timmy for sharing your video and putting yourself out there.

May 27, 2010 at 9:18 pm
(6) Jeff says:

This video delivers the message in a way that uniquely touches the target audience. Timmy is culturally connected and is making a difference. We need more like him who are Willing to take a stand for causes they believe in.

May 28, 2010 at 3:10 am
(7) tomi says:

in my opinion, “last call” isnt about just targeted at drunk drivers. i think it’s planting seeds in the minds of those who view it. it calls upon the viewer to question themself….it’s a relevant subject matter approached by an artist who is someone the audience can relate to.

kudos to timmy for using his talent to make a difference! if he touches ONE person , “last call” is a success in my book.

May 28, 2010 at 3:15 am
(8) jonathan r says:

I believe timmys “last call” video will hit home. When the opportunity to share presents iits self and you step up in faith and do so, god will open the hearts and minds of those who need to hear the message. Keep up the good work Timmy. God bless.
sincerely,
a friend of Bill n Bob

May 28, 2010 at 7:11 am
(9) steve d says:

Timmy grins is doin his thing. If only one person gets the point and changes their mind about drunk driving then the video was a success. Only takes one to start this revolution. Way to go Timmy

May 28, 2010 at 10:40 am
(10) Danielle says:

As stated in previous comments, this video is a powerful tool for tweens and teens to alert them to serious and very real consequences of drunk driving. Although it may not change the minds of alcoholics it is certainly worth a try. Thank you Timmy for sharing this painful reality and for being a great role model.

May 30, 2010 at 5:03 pm
(11) Timmy Grins says:

in a way, the writing of this track, the creation of the film, and the outreach with it, the entire experience really is helping to keep me sober. it is giving me more reason to repeatedly tell people my story and simultaneously remind me that I am an alcoholic. I feel almost as if I am constantly in an AA meeting. So, it is already helping one person. Me.

Earlier this evening i was speaking with a friend of mine and she essentially said that the vocalization of one’s problems is a tremendous step in dealing with them. partnering with that thinking, i would say that the continuous vocalization of one’s problems creates constant reminder and constant vigilance. the net result for me has been sobriety.

i agree that it is difficult to tackle the selfishness of the disease. that sense of entitlement is hard to de-engineer. AA is all that has worked because it is a consistent reminder. that consistency is the key, at least it was in my experience.

i have an expectation that this video combined with 21st century means of moving media can and will have an impact. it is strong enough that it has real replay value. it is real enough that it will sink beneath one’s surface. it talks directly to the viewer in a manner that cuts through the some of the also-ran, beaten down, overly institutionalized ways of approaching the problem and meets it head on. it tells the viewer that they really need to check themselves before they wreck themselves.

peace
Timmy Grins

June 1, 2010 at 5:04 pm
(12) Lisa says:

Thank you Timmy for sharing your message. I feel as long as it helps one person, it is worth it. And congratulations on your sobriety!!

Even if the actual user doesn’t watch or get the message, there are millions of loved ones out there that will get the message. And assisting them in what they can do for the addict/alcoholic will save more lives.

There are many resources out there for people to obtain sobriety, AA being a great one. A great resource line is 1-866-677-7215.

Congrats on your movie and sobriety!

June 14, 2010 at 9:49 pm
(13) GA FATZ says:

Your smile is like uncut sunshine. Must be divine design. It slows down time and unclutters my mind. But has me drunk like wine. I can’t go. Don’t want to get drunk and drive; cause I must stay alive, so I can see…You smile. :-)

Georgia FATZ

July 1, 2010 at 11:23 pm
(14) Timmy Grins says:

September 19, 2010 at 5:45 pm
(15) Timmy Grins says:

“Last Call” update.

-It is being used in a school in Indiana as part of its curriculum
-Its being added to massive 30 foot outdoor LED screen on 30th and 6th avenue in Manhattan
-I am going to be touring it this winter as part of my 3rd Rail Jam tour.
-It has been considered for a Webby in the category of “Public Service or Activism”

Just wanted to keep you all in the loop as to what was going on with it. Thank you for the continued support.

October 7, 2010 at 1:40 am
(16) Indy Carol says:

Hey Grins! Nice words on here–I am the professor using this medium in my classes in social work-showing students who want to someday become addiction counselors and social workers. I also use it in the recovery classes we have at a non-profit that I founded that works with female ex-cons who also happen to be addicts, survivors of domestic violence and trauma. This film cuts deep- everyone who has seen it, has a lot to say about how it hit them. Its message reads loud and clear–much love and peace to my recovery brother Timmy! You keep singin’it, putting it out there-HP is walking with ya!

January 29, 2014 at 6:28 pm
(17) Janelle says:

I had the pleasure of assisting Timmy spread the message of the consequences of drinking and driving when this video was just starting to go viral and get played in the theater and Manhattan. Years later I still convey this message every chance, whether it be mentoring the youth or setting an example for my family.

Drinking and driving needs to be taken literal. Just the other day I saw 4 cop cars have a person on a bike pulled over for drinking and driving the bicycle. It was 2am and this person could have been killed himself riding his bike down the highway at night.

I myself always remain sober when I am out unless I know I have a guaranteed sober driver to take me home. Please let’s remember to continue to spread the word over the years as I have. It is unfortunate that this story is true, however, Timmy has come forward and turned it into something that I know has touched and save many lives and will continue to do so as the years go on.

Thank you for that Timmy!!!