1. Health
Elizabeth Hartney, PhD

Social Acceptability and Addiction

By November 24, 2012

So often, addictive behavior is judged on the basis of it's social acceptability. The stereotypical addict is socially deviant, addicted to alcohol or drugs, and highly stigmatized. Yet there are many more socially acceptable but problematic types of alcohol or drug use, which can cause many more problems for the individual or other people, such as painkiller overuse, or binge drinking.

And behavioral addictions, such as food, exercise and video game addiction, can often be hidden behind a veneer of social acceptability which conceals the pain and difficulty these addictions can cause.

Comments
January 15, 2010 at 9:45 pm
(1) Will C Jensen says:

I think the stereotypical addictions of drug abuse and alcohol abuse are more socially stigmatized because of the degree to which they destroy families and to which the individual spirals down to self destruction. I agree though that the more socially accepted addictions can be every bit as destructive to relationships; family or other. These addictions have added difficulty of being more or less unnoticed and therefore with fewer or no support groups both for the addict and the victims around them.

January 24, 2010 at 1:57 am
(2) diana says:

tonight i ruined my life just to get drunk. i ruined allll of my chances to get back with the person i LOVE and i lost all of my friend’s to alcohol. i realllllt need help but no one will provide me with it. just please help me, someone hlp me, i’m tired of ruining my like with this, i miss my love and my friends, i feel the need to drink my problems away yet i cause even more problems when i drink. tonight has been the worst night of my life, i don’t know what i’m gonna do tomorrow once i’m not drunk anymore and i realize what a dumbasss i’ve made out of myself.

January 24, 2010 at 10:36 am
(3) Elizabeth Hartney says:

The easiest way to get help is to ask your doctor to refer you to treatment. You can also find out about treatment services through community crisis lines, community centres, and community information services. If you are unable to get into a treatment service, you can always try AA. You can find a meeting near you at http://www.aa.org/lang/en/meeting_finder.cfm?origpage=29 You can just show up, you don’t need an appointment. Good luck!

January 26, 2010 at 7:35 am
(4) Liza Hall says:

I am addicted to a narcotic called dillada it,s been three years
Can any one help me wein off this
I am trying it on my own
going insane

February 22, 2012 at 7:23 pm
(5) Hienueaddinee says:

Bronchial asthma is often a the respiratory system ailment that makes breathing challenging purchase adderall online, specially whilst exhaling. Pollens, allergens, irritants along with bacterias may quick a good asthma suffering assault. Such as eating habits that triggers sensitivity and enviromentally friendly components including airborne debris, wetness, smoke.

March 30, 2012 at 9:44 am
(6) carpinteyrohkl says:

Office Publisher 2010 Key
Code Cheap Online
As soon as theWindows 7 operating-system goes to the marketplace ,it win a lot of people’ popularity ,you’re suely would like to know about it ,and taking an concideratin to decide whether to alter your former to experience this new,then the followings are for your reference:

Of all of the Windows 7 vertions, windows 7 ultimate one of the most powerful ,Since Windows 7 has several special features the Stater, Home Premium, or Professional versions do not have.

Windows Home Server 2011 Key
add new navigation features: Aero Shake and Snap, it’s easy to simplify everyday tasks using it . Aero shake allows you to focus on one window by simply selecting a window of great interest and shaking the mouse forward and backward. Following this all of the other windows disappear, to reverse this effect simply repeat the process to make the windows reappear. Another useful navigation feature is “Snap” that allows you to definitely resize windows for comparison or greater ease-of-use just by dragging these to the advantage of the screen. Using this method windows can be created to expand in various direction or even to take up the complete screen. These along with other new navigation features used in Windows 7 allow it to become very easy to operate while being productive , too.

The windows 7 ultimate OS also markedly improves on Windows Server 2003 Key
departments allowing it to be far preferable over its predecessor. It takes full benefit of 64-bit PC hardware and memory which explains quickly becoming the normal within the desktop and laptop industry. The OS is also made to make your PC both sleep and resume quickly so you don’t need to wait. In addition, it consumes less resources when running so that you are given with a faster system for either work or play.